Introducing a new experience for working with items in ArcGIS Online

At Esri, we want to ensure that every user has an amazing experience using ArcGIS Online. We aim to deliver not only powerful features, but also continually improve our interfaces for both experienced and new users. We want to pair powerful capabilities with beautiful and easy-to-use design so that you can be at your absolute best. That’s why we’re really excited to introduce some changes coming to the way you work with items in ArcGIS Online.

New look and layout

comparison of old and new layouts for the item details page

Click to view in full resolution

First, we’re updating the visual look and feel of the item details. By changing the type, colors, and layout, we want to help make it easier and more efficient to get the job done. For example, we’ll highlight the most common actions in the top-right of the page, using new button styles to make it easy to open a layer in the map viewer, create a presentation, or share an item. New button styles and typography will guide you to the workflows and content that matter most. The new tabbed layout will add a depth of new features (more on those later!) while still keeping the look streamlined and easy to use.

Explore

Screenshot of new overview tab Interface

For users who want to get a sense of what an item is all about, we’ll put all the most important elements front and center in the ‘Overview’ tab. Item owners and administrators will also have access to convenient, in-place editing of properties like an item’s description and tags. Changing an item’s summary will be done right where you’re reading it. Quick inline editing will make it easier to keep your items up to date and accurate.

Data

Screenshot of the data tab interface for the new item details page

Viewing and working with attribute data will be a core part of item details. Currently, to view the attributes of a layer, you have to open the layer in the map viewer. The new ‘Data’ tab will allow you to view, edit, and sort attribute data quickly and easily from the item details, without reloading the page. When you need to update a particular attribute, just double-click a cell to edit the data inline and your changes will be saved automatically. You’ll also find a new, integrated way to view and navigate through related records and attachments.

Visualization

Screenshot of visualize tab

Another important aspect of geospatial data is what that data looks like. With the new ‘Visualization’ tab, a slew of powerful features will be at your fingertips. Change a layer’s default styles, update popups, and create labels from the item details page itself. We’re putting powerful map viewer capabilities like smart mapping right inside the ‘Visualization’ tab, so our users can get more done in less time.

Usage

Screenshot of the usage tab

As an item owner, it’s important to know how your content is being used and viewed. To help owners and administrators get answers to these crucial questions, we’re adding the ‘Usage’ tab. With a clean dashboard view, getting insight into usage patterns will be easier than ever. View requests over time during defined time periods, or adjust the time period to a custom range you’re interested in. The dashboard shows averages, totals, and a time-series view of what’s happening with your item.

Configuration

Screenshot of settings tab

With this upcoming redesign, we want to give ample space to fine-tune all the settings that make an item tick. The new ‘Settings’ tab will neatly organize all the configurable settings of an item in one place. Change options like editing and delete protection, register an application, or set an item’s default extent, all in one place. Settings will be visually grouped to make them easy to find and understand.

Moving forward

This design update is just the beginning. We’re constantly brainstorming and testing ways to make sure your experience is powerful and streamlined. We know that especially for our experienced users, substantial change to our interface can take a while to get used to, but from our user testing, we’re confident that you’ll fall in love with the new look and all the extra power that comes with it. And remember we love getting feedback, so whether you have an idea or a particular workflow you think could be improved, let us know!

This entry was posted in ArcGIS Online and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1. micahw says:

Editing attributes in the data tab only available for hosted features?

2. dannycroberts says:

If I am the owner of the group/ layers can we hide all data from other members. The reason I ask this is that I only want members of the group to have access to the Apps I create; I do not wish for them to have access to all the GIS data and maps. I have a folder with around 15 feature services making the group extremely cluttered and new users find it hard to locate the apps without filtering the group.

3. jtessier says:

I second dannycroberts sentiment – allowing a group owner to control at least a default view to only show apps would be helpful. Could possibly implement similar to the checkbox/toggle available currently to allow users to control seeing ArcGIS for Desktop items. So could be a smart default (off) for users to control, or a group default view that an owner can set…or a combination of both.

4. Michael says:

A workaround is to add “&focus=applications” to the end of your AGOL Group URL. For example https://aepgis.maps.arcgis.com/home/group.html?id=c755678be14e4a0984af36a15f5b643e&focus=applications
    This will show the user only applications available in the group. It doesn’t restrict access but at least cleans up the users view.

• mgg_dihsle says:

Is there any way to persist this in the group, so that when the user goes to this group from within the AGOL/Portal environment this is the view they get, rather than having to access the “clean” view via an altered shared URL?

5. saaakura says:

I love the comments option. Great idea!

6. kjn120rh says:

Nice job! I especially like the new data tab!
    I would like to have an overview of which maps and apps a feature service is included in. Sometimes as an administrator, I take over items from a user that has left the organization and I want to know if a feature service is in use by anyone or if I can delete it. That would make my work a lot easier.

7. imtucker1 says:

I really like the look of the new Item Detail page, it is a much more organized view of the information. The data tab and editing information with a double click is fantastic! But, I would MUCH prefer to see that functionality on the table in map view. The editing process of data in the table is very cumbersome – you have to select each record individually, zoom to it, and edit it. Direct editing in the table would be fantastic.

8. qaisarnaseem says:

My layout is been updated but I cannot see the Data tab. It is a feature layer service that I am hoping to edit the data for. I can edit the data in the table inside the map. but there is no data tab available.

9. junius73 says:

I like the changes here – thank you! would it be possible to have functionality to export the usage statistics of all apps into excel? We’d like to be able to quickly tell which apps are most popular for a given time period and which are not used at all.

10. slace says:

I simply love it when developers “want to help make it easier and more efficient to get the job done” by moving the Open button that has been on the left of the screen to the right side. That will surely make my work so much easier and efficient. And why is everything so big? What size screen did this layout work best on? I have a 27″ screen and have to scroll even though I have nothing in the description. Making the font bigger does not mean easier to me, and moving stuff around does not make it more efficient.

11. jswift says:

I suggest providing a link somewhere at the very beginning of workflows to the AGOL credit estimator. So users at least are reminded to check this before publishing.

12. mgg_dihsle says:

Hi,
    What happened to the metadata editor from the item details page?

Thanks!

• There should be a button labeled “Metadata” of the far right side near the bottom of the action buttons. This is a dropdown menu allowing you to edit, or simply view the metadata in a new tab. Hope that helps.

13. bfindlay says:

All sounds great to me. The video is not working currently however.

14. keith.henderson says:

We would love to see a redesign that allows legend box to be locked on so that embedded maps will always open with the legend showing. When sharing maps via webpage embedding, our experience has been that many people are not familiar enough with online maps to know how to open a legend box.

15. avanish_sharma says:

The new interface is really cool. But let me share something about the content sharing through AGOL. I preferred Google Chrome browser and has been using since long time to share a content through AGOL. But there is some issues in sharing a content. The new interface doesn’t provide the sharing options for the content.

However, it works perfectly with Firefox. The new interface shows the sharing options and we can share contents easily through AGOL. So, this might be a technical issues which Esri technical team needs to fix.