What’s New in Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (November 2015)

Chicago Black Hawks – Hockey. FC Barcelona and the US National Women’s Team – Soccer. Kansas City Royals – Baseball. The All Blacks – Rugby.

Championship Teams

(Note: All team logos in the graphic above are trademarked and owned by their respective organizations.)

What do these sport teams have in common? In 2015, they all achieved success through teamwork. Teamwork is a fundamental component of success for many organizations and businesses. Esri is no different.

This Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS update includes contributions from several other Esri development teams (Data Reviewer, Imagery, and Solutions) reinforcing and promoting the idea of teamwork. They have helped contribute their expertise for some exciting new widgets in this release.

4 new widgets

• Feature Report widget – This widget leverages the data validation capabilities of the ArcGIS Data Reviewer for Server extension to “redline” features that are missing, miscoded, or incorrectly positioned. It enables you to collect and manage data quality feedback from users.
  • Reviewer Dashboard widget – This widget works with the reporting capabilities of the ArcGIS Data Reviewer for Server extension. It displays data quality result statistics as infographics and ‘pie and bar charts’ to summarize data quality issues identified in your GIS data.

Learn more about both these widgets in this blog post: Data Reviewer Widgets for Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS. Both widgets are already available as Dev samples on GitHub for Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition v1.2, but will be part of Web AppBuilder embedded in ArcGIS Online soon!

• Image Measurement widget – Allows you to perform measurements on image services with mensuration capability. Mensuration is a method of applying geometric rules to find the lengths of lines, areas of surfaces, or volumes using information obtained from lines and angles.
  • Batch Attribute Editor widget – Enables you to select multiple features and update common attributes at once.

WidgetScreenShots

Other enhancements
Some additional enhancements to Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS include:

• Apps created with Web AppBuilder can be modified with URL parameters. This release adds support for 6 new URL parameters that enable you to find a location or a feature, authenticate users, query features, add a point on the map, switch locale, and specify WKID to zoom or pan the map.
  • The ability to save app state, including map extent and layer visibility, is now automatically saved when you close your web browser.
  • The Print widget supports custom text elements as layout metadata.
  • The Search widget has options to add placeholder text for all search sources and can search the current map extent.
  • The Attribute Table widget updates layers accordingly when they are changed in the map.
  • The Edit widget now carries over the editable attributes configured in the map.

One last news item: the core Web AppBuilder Dev team have been very busy working on enabling some exciting new functionality. The picture below is a hint at what we are working on:

3DGlasses

Any guesses?

Sincerely,
The Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Dev team

This entry was posted in App Developers, Apps, ArcGIS for Server, ArcGIS Online, Portal for ArcGIS, Web and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1. Law says:

FYI: The upcoming Web AppBuilder release will also have a 5th new BETA widget, the Situational Awareness widget. This widget allows you to locate an incident on the map and analyze information from different feature layers within a specified distance of the incident. It has similar functionality to the Incident Analysis widget, but is different in 3 ways:

1) Ability to add /delete incidents of the feature service and update of feature attributes;
    2) Display of summary features; and
    3) Optional export of all CSV fields or just those configured for display in the panel.

We encourage you to test and share feedback with us.

2. jxs_eaglegis says:

Can I answer please? Please? :)

3. stuart.grey says:

Hi Derek,

Is this update still planned for early-mid December?

Also, In relation to your point – ‘The Edit widget now carries over the editable attributes configured in the map.’, does this mean that if you search for an attribute in the editing mode, then make a different search, the editing session and pop up box will switch to the newly searched attribute?

Regards,
    Stuart Grey

• Law says:

Hi Stuart,

> Is this update still planned for early-mid December?

I think by this statement you are referring to Web AppBuilder Developer Edition, right? In which case the next Web AppBuilder Developer Edition update is planned for sometime mid Dec to early Jan.

> … does this mean that if you search for an attribute in the editing mode, then make a different search, the editing session and pop up box will switch to the newly searched attribute?

Not quite. If you search for an attribute in the editing mode, then make a different search, the pop up will display the newly searched feature. You will have to close the pop up and use the toolbar to select the feature to update the attribute.

We realize this is not the same behavior as in the AGOL map viewer. We are planning on enhancing this behavior to be similar to the AGOL map viewer in a future release.

Hope this helps,

4. cameronwallace says:

Any chance you’ll be supporting sub-surface in 3D anytime soon? (i.e. local scenes… or something to that effect)

5. soto@powel.dk says:

Hi Dev team,
    So many new and exciting improvements 4 times a year – really great, thanks.The Batch Attrib Editor is what I’ve been looking for for a long time:-)

BUT – one big problem with the recent update I have to mention is, that a well-working WAB app we’ve created for a customer now suddenly isn’t working as it should after the Nov update. The problem is that the Result-window for a GP-service isn’t able to show the text and tables as before, too little space now – I’ve just send this incident to tech support, since I find it quite critical.
    The way I see it, we need some way to be able to lock well-working apps so an AGO update can’t spoil the app.
    Would that be possible? Any work-around for solving my acute problem and roll back to the previous app will be much appreciated…
    Best Regards
    Søren

• Law says:

Hi Søren,

> one big problem with the recent update I have to mention is, that a well-working WAB app we’ve created for a customer now suddenly isn’t working as it should after the Nov update.

I am sorry that something was broken in your existing web app with the recent AGOL update. When we update Web AppBuilder we do our best to ensure that we do NOT break existing functionality.

Can you please email me (dlaw@esri.com) your Esri Tech Support incident #, along with a description of the issue and screen captures ASAP? We would like to investigate and try to resolve your issue.

• mattias_j says:

I’ve also experienced that my apps isn’t working as expected after the latest update. In my case (what I’ve noticed so far) it was the search widget who lost all configuration. All my configured search layers was gone and there was just the default geocoder left (which I had removed). I really like the enhancements to the search widget but I agree with Søren, there has to be a way to make sure that well-working apps will continue to work as expected after AGOL updates.
        /Mattias

• vmorrow says:

We also have experienced issues with updates for AOG, but ours are not limited to the Web App builder. Two updates ago, all the online filters vanished. Last update our geoform application would just hang on submittals, although it had been working for over a year.

• Law says:

Hi vmorrow,

In the future, I would encourage you to please log problems with Esri Technical Support so we can investigate and help to resolve your problems after an ArcGIS Online update.

Hope this helps,

6. leolegendatl says:

The update of the Search widget killed all my settings on my applications :( .

7. bradysmith says:

We lost our configured searches also.

• Law says:

@mattias_j, leolegendatl, and bradysmith:

I apologize for the technical issue(s) you have encountered with the Search widget. We have identified the problem and are working to get this bug fixed ASAP. The Search widget should be fixed when we apply an ArcGIS Online patch – planned for later tonight Nov 19th PST. Thanks for your patience.

8. clm42 says:

I see that the docs for URL parameters in AGOL configured maps allow for searching and selecting features in layers that are configured in the Search widget. Is this propagating to WAB Developer Edition in the December update?

• Law says:

Hi clm42,

Yes, the November updates for the embedded Web AppBuilder in ArcGIS Online will be available in the next Web AppBuilder Developer Edition release, tentatively planned for sometime mid Dec to early Jan. These capabilities will be available in the embedded Web AppBuilder in Portal for ArcGIS in the 10.4 release, scheduled for Q1 of 2016.

Hope this helps,

9. stew7673 says:

Could we get some clarification on: “The Attribute Table widget updates layers accordingly when they are changed in the map.” please?

• Law says:

Hi stew7673,

Sure. Before the Nov 2015 ArcGIS Online update, when you changed the web map such as adding a new layer or updated fields of an existing layer, the Attribute Table widget would not update accordingly. When you opened the Attribute Table widget configuration page, the new layer or fields would not display. With the update, the Attribute Table widget configuration page will now adjust and show the new layer or changed fields from the web map.

Hope this helps,

10. sreeku says:

i guess 3D stuff!

11. kevmck says:

Having created an app using the Web AppBuilder that I am happy with I downloaded the App and deployed it on my website. I then saved the App as a template. I then use that template to create further Apps which is great. However, when I try to download these Apps so that I can deploy them on my website I notice that the download option in the My Content – Download – Code Attachment (http://doc.arcgis.com/en/web-appbuilder/manage-apps/deploy-app.htm) is no longer available. In other words I can download and deploy the original App but not any of the Apps made from the template I made.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is so, and how I can get round this problem?
    Thanks in advance.

12. nbegg says:

I’ve just discovered the Feature Report widget which will give our field staff the ability to make a quick note of any data errors. How do we then review these notes?