NOTE AS OF FEB. 21, 2014: The basemap system upgrade to ArcGIS 10.2 for Server occurred last night. See Basemap System Upgrade to ArcGIS 10.2 for Server Completed for the latest information on this update.
As mentioned in the What’s New in ArcGIS Online (December 2013) announcement, the Esri Basemap system (i.e., services.arcgisonline.com, server.arcgisonline.com) is being upgraded to ArcGIS 10.2 for Server software to support some important new capabilities. This will include Tile Resampling, in which most Map data not yet available tiles will be replaced with resampled map tiles from the most detailed level available, as well as support for WMTS access to the maps. The upgrade will also include additional system capacity to support the steadily growing usage of these popular basemaps next year and beyond.
For most users, the upgrade of the basemap system will be seamless. The existing map and globe services hosted on the basemap system will continue to be available through the standard URLs, and there will be backward compatibility to earlier versions of ArcGIS to at least version 10.0. One important item to note related to the upgrade is that ArcGIS 10.2 for Server enforces case sensitivity on map service URLs. As a result, you should ensure that requests to the basemap services use the standard URLs documented in the Services Directory and in the map service and web map items published on ArcGIS.com. Below are examples of supported and unsupported URLs:
Examples of Supported URLs (correct)
- http://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/World_Street_Map/MapServer (lower case arcgis and rest)
- http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Street_Map/MapServer (camel case ArcGIS)
- http://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/World_Street_Map/mapserver (lower case mapserver)
Examples of Unsupported URLs (incorrect)
- http://services.arcgisonline.com/ARCGIS/rest/services/World_Street_Map/MapServer (all capital ARCGIS)
- http://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/world_street_map/mapserver (incorrect case on service name)
- http://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/canvas/World_Light_Gray_Base/MapServer (incorrect case on folder)
If you experience issues accessing any of the map services on the Esri Basemap system after the upgrade to 10.2, you should review the URLs being used to make the request and ensure they are using the supported casing. If not, please update the URL references in your map and application.