2012 is coming to a close. Already. We have all witnessed and experienced lot of great innovation within the ArcGIS System this past year. Now, to kick off your 2013, we are preparing a very exciting ”update” of the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android, a version we are calling the 10.1.1 update. You’ll hear a lot more about the new version numbers soon, but in this quick post, we want to unveil some highlights for you. So here we go…
- There are new Network Analyst Tasks for supporting the following operations (in an “always connected” scenario) :
- Service Area
- Closest Facility
- We’ve added a new “Find” Task for searching through multiple layers and fields in a Map.
- There is now support for continuous panning in the Map across the International Date Line (“wrap around”).
- Time aware layers – We’ve added support for time-aware layers which store information about the changing state of a dataset over time.
- Highlight Features – Selected features have highlight symbology representation. There was always feature highlighting, but they were simple symbols.
- PKI Security support for accessing secured services from ArcGIS Online.
- Graphic elements in a GraphicsLayer now have a Z order property, giving developers control and management of the draw order of graphic objects.
- We’ve implemented a new Geocode service, which now handles single-line input fields.
New Layer Types
- KML (Support is limited to KML over the Internet)
- CSV- A comma-separated list of values (CSV) storing tabular data in plain text format.
- Open Street Map
- New Samples Wizard that includes remote samples from ArcGIS online – Sample wizard has been re-designed to allow for local or remote samples to be brought into your Eclipse developer environment.
- The Javadoc has a new look and feel
- Javadoc API searching made easier - you can search directly in the API reference.
- UML model integration into the Javadoc - There is much better visualization of object model relationships inside the API.
Changes to the API
- Advanced Symbology API changes have been made to support the updated 2525C Symbol Dictionary
- 10.1 Query Improvements
This new update strengthens the ArcGIS Android API for building world-class geo-centric applications for phones and tablets. We encourage your involvement in working with this new update, so stay tuned for the announcement in a short couple of weeks, and let us and your developer community hear from you on the user forums and on twitter: @ArcGIS_Runtime.