Tag Archives: ArcGIS Mobile
Hi all, my name is John, and I am a member of the ArcGIS Server team at Esri Support Services. Today I would like to share a few tips and knowledgebase articles that are useful for troubleshooting issues with ArcGIS Mobile 10:
1. The .wmpk (ArcGIS Windows Mobile Package) file generated from Mobile Project Center (MPC) is actually a compressed file. You may change the extension to .zip and upzip the file. You will see the .amp file and other .xml files.
2. The .amp file is the mobile project’s configuration file. You can use a text editor to open the file and check the MobileService URL and all other information configured in MPC. This is an easy way to check a mobile project without repeating the workflow. The MobileService URL should be using a fully qualified domain name or public IP address if the mobile project is intended to be used outside the internal network.
3. Below is a list of knowledgebase articles that reference common issues related to ArcGIS Mobile 10 project deployment and mobile cache:
FAQ: Is the Mobile Cache the same thing as the Server Cache? If not, why is it different?
ArcGIS Mobile uses sqlite database as the mobile cache storage format
Error: “MobileServer requires a custom extent to be set. The default extent is not acceptable (union of all layers”
Before publishing a map service with mobile data access capabilities, set the custom extent in ArcMap.
Error: “Failed to open the project. Error opening mobile cache”
The mobile cache needs to be manually copied over to the mobile project folder.
Error: “Error opening mobile cache” when deploying the mobile application on mobile device
A specific folder structure needs to be set on the mobile device.
FAQ: Can the ArcGIS Mobile application be customized?
Customers in the United States can visit the Customer Care Portal for more information about how to get ArcGIS 10 in English, French, German, Neutral Spanish, Japanese or Simplified Chinese. Customers outside the United States should contact their local Esri office for details.
Hello, my name is Denise, and I am the Mobile GIS Support Specialist in ESRI Support Services, working out of the East Coast – Charlotte office. Many of you contacting ESRI Support Services for help or information of a technical nature are already aware of the GoToAssist utility. The GoToAssist utility allows ESRI Support Analysts to provide what is commonly referred to as ‘desktop streaming’. We blogged on this topic back in April 2009 to help inform ESRI’s user community on how GoToAssist allows our support analysts to remotely and securely connect to our customers’ computers: allowing for faster, more accurate diagnosis of many kinds of problems – especially when the problem involves a map.
The GoToAssist application works great for those using desktop, laptop, and tablet PCs, but what about the popular and ever growing mobile device world? The current Mobile GIS technologies offered by ESRI are ArcPad, ArcGIS Mobile, and ArcLogistics Navigator. All three software applications run as WIN32 applications in addition to Windows Mobile applications. GoToAssist is ideal if the issue you are reporting is occurring on a desktop, laptop, or tablet PC; however, it is more common in the Mobile GIS world to get contacted by mobile users reporting the experienced behavior that is only occurring on the mobile device. This is where GoToAssist gets assistance from a utility called My Mobiler.
My Mobiler is a freeware application that provides ESRI Support Analysts the ability to view and/or control the processes performed on a connected mobile device from a desktop PC. Used in conjunction with GoToAssist, ESRI Support Analysts can troubleshoot and diagnose reported behaviors on a mobile device, visually confirm that mobile device users are performing the proper instructions in their work flow procedures, and assist in any user training of ESRI software mobile applications (ArcPad, ArcGIS Mobile, and ArcLogistics Navigator).
Disclaimer: My Mobiler is a free third-party utility. This application is not endorsed or supported by ESRI, nor can ESRI be held responsible for any damages resulting from inappropriate use of this application.
My Mobiler v1.25 – FREEWARE
- View a mobile screen on your desktop
- Control a mobile device by using desktop keyboard and mouse
- Copy/Cut/Paste text between mobile and desktop
- Capture mobile screen
- Drag and drop files to a mobile device
- Support ActiveSync / IP Connection
- Support Mobile Explorer (File Browse)
This application allows the viewing and control of a mobile device from a desktop PC.
Additional information for downloading, installing, and the use of My Mobiler can be found at the following link: http://mymobiler.com/.
- Denise K., Mobile GIS Support Specialist, ESRI Support Services