Frequently, I am asked how to use ArcGIS Online in conjunction with a learning management systems (LMS) at a school or university. To keep things as straightforward as possible, there are a few simple ways to get your maps into our example LMS, Edmodo.
- A public (free) or organization subscription account at ArcGIS Online (http://www.arcgis.com)
- A teacher account at Edmodo (http://www.edmodo.com)
Create a map in ArcGIS Online and grab the embeddable code:
Go to ArcGIS.com
- Login to your account
- Create or locate a map of interest.
- If you have created the map, “Save” it to your account
- Press “Share”
- Check the box to share with “Everyone (Public)”.
- Press button, “Embed in Website”
- Choose the options you prefer.
- Copy the embed code. This will be pasted into EdModo.
Embedding an ArcGIS Online interactive map in Edmodo: Two approaches
1. Assignment: Embed the map in an assignment
- From the classroom (group) homepage, press “Assignment”. Fill out details including due date.
- Press the “Link” link and paste the embed code.
- Provide a map title or instructive statement for the students.
- Press “Attach”.
- The map is displayed inside the assignment call-out, directly on the student’s page.
2. Library: Embed the map in a library object
- “Add To Library” -> “Link” -> Paste embedded code from ArcGIS Online.
- Map “widget” icons are created in the library.
- Interactive maps appear in a popup window. The maps can be zoomed, features identified, and legends attached.