Summer officially kicks off in approximately 54.5 hours here on the West Coast, not that I’m counting. The days are already warmer, the evenings longer. Seems like everyone wants to leave the office early to get in a bike ride, fire up the grill, or grab a drink at the local pub’s outdoor patio.
In celebration of the season, we’re rolling out a new training format. An instructor-led workshop is a four-hour event held in our Online Classroom. In a workshop, the instructor covers recommended workflows for a focused topic, demonstrates how to apply those workflows, and devotes lots of time to question and answer sessions (Q&A). There are no hands-on exercises in this shorter format, but attendees receive resource materials and a certificate of completion.
The first workshops are designed for content publishers and users of an ArcGIS Online organizational site. How do you know if one of these workshops is right for you? Take this short quiz to find out.
- Are you a GIS professional who currently publishes ArcGIS services?
- Will you be responsible for sharing GIS maps or other content to your organization’s ArcGIS Online site?
- Are you a professional who occasionally uses GIS maps, tools, or data?
- Do you want to use content shared to your organization’s ArcGIS Online site to add more value to your projects? For example, maybe you’re an Excel power user who wants to map your data with ArcGIS Online demographic layers. Or maybe you want to create a quick web map to share the latest competitor locations with your colleagues.
- Are you comfortable asking questions in an online environment–through a chat window, over the phone, or VoIP?
- Do you have an Internet connection and the ability to use web conferencing software?
- Do you have four hours?
If you answered yes to numbers 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7, then ArcGIS Online Subscriptions for Organizations: Publisher Workflows may be a great venue to ramp up on what you’ll need to know to be most productive.
If you answered yes to numbers 3-7, then ArcGIS Online Subscriptions for Organizations: User Workflows may help you start using your organizational site’s content to take your projects to the next level.
Why a New Format?
When we ask attendees of our live training seminars what they found most valuable about the seminar, there’s a consistent three-way tie—the Q&A, expert presenter, software demos. Attendees also frequently tell us they’d like more in-depth coverage of the topic. In one hour, though, there’s only so much that can be covered.
Given the feedback on live training seminars, we think the instructor-led workshop format can meet a need for shorter, focused training by an expert. We’re excited to find out what workshop attendees will rate as the most valuable aspect. Will it be the Q&A? The demos? The shorter duration which lends itself to arriving a bit earlier to the free concert in the park? As the summer unfolds, we’ll find out.