Tag Archives: service pack
We recently released Service Pack 1 of ArcGIS 10.1 for Server, and we encourage server administrators to upgrade their instances to this release as soon as possible. You can watch this video to see benefits and features in the service … Continue reading
Make ArcGIS better by reporting software errors and joining the Esri User Experience Improvement Program
You are trying to finish up a project with a deadline, haven’t saved your edits all day, and then, poof, ArcMap closes unexpectedly. Esri strives to produce stable, quality software, but occasionally bad things happen and you see: “ArcGIS has … Continue reading
by Kyle Watson
The ArcGIS core team released a helpful little patch to improve the usability of tiled internet map services in ArcGIS Desktop. Since many of you are consuming online map services, such as Bing Maps Aerial, or using the Business Analyst Web.mxd (which loads the ArcGIS Online World StreetMap service by default), this patch is quite relevant to improve the request responsiveness.
If this is happening, you might see something like the image below followed by ArcGIS freezing or crashing.
Here’s the official patch description:
Description: When map service layers such as Bing Maps or ArcGIS Online Basemaps are drawn in ArcGIS Desktop applications (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcReader) or ArcGIS Engine, multiple requests are made simultaneously and then reassembled to draw the content requested for the given extent. In situations where these requests take longer to respond, the requesting application can crash. This patch ensures that the situation which caused the crash is avoided, and ensures that map tiles returning after longer timeouts will still be properly handled.
Hopefully many of you are in San Diego enjoying the 2011 Esri User Conference right now…
We’ve been working hard to get Service Pack 2 ready for you and here it is! There are two new service packs: one for Business Analyst 10 Desktop and another for Business Analyst 10 Server.
In addition to minor bug fixes and improvements, these service packs include Continue reading
By Lucy Guerra
The Business Analyst team is pleased to announce that Service Pack 1 for Business Analyst 10 Desktop is now available. This service pack contains several performance improvements and maintenance fixes. We recommend that customers using Business Analyst 10 or Business Analyst 10 Premium download and install this service pack at their earliest convenience to ensure the highest-quality experience when working with Business Analyst.
Download the Service Pack from the Esri Resource Center or install it automatically by using the Check for Business Analyst Updates utility from your Start > Programs > ArcGIS > Business Analyst location…
by Kyle Watson
We are pleased to announce a new service pack for Business Analyst 9.3.1 Desktop . This service pack is for download only from our Resource Center. The service pack is primarily focused on Territory Design improvements.
Here’s a rundown on some frequently asked questions…
Q: What is this service pack called?
A: Business Analyst 9.3.1 Desktop Service Pack 2 or BA931SP2.
Q: What is the theme of BA931SP2?
A: Performance and accuracy improvements in Territory Design for large or nationwide datasets.
Q: Why is the performance so much better?
A: Balancing algorithms are refined and smarter. Indexes (.tidx) are supplied to make creating territories, using Business Analyst Data, faster.
Q: Will this be available via the automatic “Check for BA Updates?”
A: No. BA931SP2 will only be available from the Resource Center as a downloadable MSP. The setup is run locally, just like any other ArcGIS SP. BA931SP1 will remain the active/current automatic download.
Q: Is this service pack comprehensive? Can I install BA931SP2 instead of BA931SP1 and see all the fixes of both?
A: No. BA931SP2 contains no fixes from BA931SP1. It can be referred to as “in addition to” BA931SP1. It is recommended to install BA931SP1 then BA931SP2.
Q: Are there plans for a BA931SP3?
A: No. The next major desktop release planned is Business Analyst 10 with a tentative target of an August time frame.
In our continual effort to improve our clients’ experience with Business Analyst, last Friday we released the first service pack for Business Analyst Desktop 9.3.1 with 2009 data. This service pack contains fixes for everyone from client driven fixes, to a series of report fixes, and even an MSP style install.
Included in the service were the following improvements:
- MSP Style install allowing users to download an MSP from our Support Center or run it directly from the Update Utility in Business Analyst
- Approximately 179 bug fixes
- 19 client driven driven fixes
- Includes 2 previous hot fixes
- 53 report based fixes
- Bugs fixed for three international distributors with a follow up international specific service pack for localization coming soon.
If its been awhile since you have used our built in update utility let me refresh your memory. Close down all ArcGIS desktop applications and from the Start Menu select All Programs -> ArcGIS -> Business Analyst -> Check for Business Analyst Updates.
This will launch the Business Analyst Update utility and simply click the Check button.
The Business Analyst Update utility will check to see if you have latest service pack installed. If it detects that you do not have the latest service pack it will alert you that an update is available for download. Then just click the Download button and the service pack will be downloaded and it will automatically start the installation process for the service pack. Just follow the on screen instructions to complete the installation.
To verify that this service pack has been installed launch Business Analyst and from the Business Analyst menu select Preferences and then select the General tab and the current version of Business Analyst will be displayed at the bottom of this dialog. It will read Build#18.104.22.1680.
You can visit our support site for a complete list of all the fixes. Additionally, if you are having troubles installing the service pack from the Business Analyst Update utility you can download the MSP directly from our support site to run the service pack locally.
by Kyle Watson
Hi there reader,
Just wanted to drop a line about new desktop software releases forthcoming in November, both will be released at the same time.
- Business Analyst 9.3.1 Service Pack 1 – AKA BA931SP1. This will be an MSP setup (so the same style as a standard ArcGIS service pack) that you can install directly from the automatic Check for BA Updates utility or download it from our Support Center page. The service pack will fix a variety of basic maintenance items as well as some key issues found by clients that we didn’t know about at first. We have a couple “hotfixes” out there now, not to worry – those will be included in the service pack.
- Business Analyst 9.3.1 for Canada with 2009 Data – If you didn’t know we create a Canadian version of Business Analyst – we do – right here in Redlands. If you have both the US and Canadian version installed on one machine, you just toggle between country-specific datasets to run reports and analyses. The 2009 product is based on Canada’s newest census information. We’ll have this next incarnation coming to you shortly.
So keep an eye out for new Business Analyst 9.3.1 software in mid-November…more details to follow…
All the best,
by Kyle Watson
I’ve been getting some questions from users and account managers out there asking all about ArcGIS Business Analyst 9.3 and 9.3.1…and how to properly update…and should I install…and what if I didn’t download service packs, etc, etc, etc.
So here are some Frequently Asked Questions about transitioning to 9.3.1.
- Q: Can I install ArcGIS 9.3.1 over Business Analyst 9.3?
A: Yes. If you have ArcGIS 9.3 with Business Analyst 9.3 on a machine, just run the ArcGIS 9.3.1 update. Then continue working with Business Analyst 9.3 as you normally would.
- Q: Can I install Business Analyst 9.3.1 over ArcGIS 9.3?
A: No. Business Analyst 9.3.1 must be installed on top of ArcGIS 9.3.1. You must first uninstall Business Analyst 9.3.
- Q: Do I need to uninstall ArcGIS 9.3 if I want to install Business Analyst 9.3.1?
A: No. You just need to install ArcGIS 9.3.1 over ArcGIS 9.3 then install Business Analyst 9.3.1.
- Q: Is there a 2009/2014 Data Update in the works?
A: Yes. Business Analyst 9.3.1 includes the 2009/2014 updated datasets plus new software functionality. Taking advantage of the core ArcGIS 9.3.1 release schedule, we combined Business Analyst 9.3.1 features and data updates into one release.
- Q: Are the two Business Analyst 9.3 service packs included in Business Analyst 9.3.1?
A: Yes. All fixes and updates in the Business Analyst 9.3 service packs have been incorporated in Business Analyst 9.3.1.
- Q: Will my Business Analyst 9.3 product licenses work in Business Analyst 9.3.1?
A: Yes. ESRI Customer Service will send you a new data license to activate the 2009/2014 datasets.
- Q: I am using the 2008/2013 datasets, but am still on the Business Analyst 9.2 platform. Can I use the 2009/2014 datasets with Business Analyst 9.2?
A: No. You must install ArcGIS 9.3.1 and Business Analyst 9.3.1 to use the 2009/2014 datasets.
- Q: When will Business Analyst 9.3.1 be released?
A: We hope to finalize Business Analyst 9.3.1 in July. Look for DVDs shipping to you after the International User Conference (come visit us in San Diego!)
- Q: What software features will be included in Business Analyst 9.3.1?
A: Plenty. We’ll have an official “What’s New” document ready soon. But here’s a sneak peak (many of these features are developed DIRECTLY FROM USER’S ideas, wants, and needs, etc…
so let us know what we can add to make your job easier). The features are: Microsoft Virtual Earth local search, new fast and cartographically enhanced MXD, improved access to ArcGIS Online layers, improved custom report editor, map series report improvements, general feature speed and performance improvements, refreshed wizard dialog tips and images, save custom search filters in the Add Business Listings wizard, assign logos to store layers…we’ve been busy.
by Maia Pawooskar
The ArcGIS Business Analyst team routinely makes updates to its suite of solutions, services and products. You can use this Esri Support Notifications service to keep informed of updates to ArcGIS Business Analyst and many other Esri products. Here’s how:
2. Choose Login on the Support site.
3. Login using your ESRI Global Account. If you do not have a Global Account with Esri, no worries, you can create one easily.
4. Logging in using your Esri Global Account will bring up this screen. Click on the Support Notifications link.
5. This brings up the Support Notifications page. Subscribe to all or from any of the Esri’s growing family of products, solutions, services including the Business Solutions products.
If you have not subscribed for this convenient Esri service, please do so at your earliest, it is great way to receive news on topics of your interest.