The Blade Runner app shown in the 2012 dev summit plenary has [finally] been packaged up and is available for download from arcgis.com. This app uses the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android and shows off the currently available offline functions of the SDK. Continue reading
New versions of the ArcGIS Runtime SDKs for Windows Phone, iOS and Android have been rolled out today! The recent release of the ArcGIS applications were built using these SDKs, so you know they are tried and tested.
ArcGIS 10.1 support
They all have support for lots of ArcGIS 10.1 goodies, including editor tracking, ownership based access control, fine grained editing capabilities and lots more.
With ArcGIS for Android now available, this article discusses what steps are needed to set up your Android development environment to work with Runtime. To follow along, you will need an Android 2.2+ powered device to test your applications. Continue reading
The Mobile Team is pleased to announce that v1.0.1 of the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android has been released. After months of hard work, we have enhanced the beta release to include some really cool performance and functionality improvements. To access the download, please visit the Android Resource Center.
The SDK allows you to add the power of the ArcGIS system to your Android apps which can run on phones and tablets with the Android OS v2.2 and above. This includes the ability to connect to ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Server. You can also add cached base maps which are stored locally on your device! With this SDK you can:
- Add maps from ArcGIS Online or create your own maps in code
- Add base maps which are stored locally on the device to your maps
- Use a rich set of tasks which leverage the power of ArcGIS to analyze your maps and provide information to your users
- Add functions to let users to edit data whilst out in the field
- Work with your devices GPS
- Identify features in the map and view the rich pop ups which you can author in ArcGIS online
- An integrated Eclipse plugin to make it easy to add ArcGIS to your Android projects
- Add graphics on top of the map
- Perform advanced geometric operations locally
The Beta release has been much improved upon based on all of your feedback. Some of the highlights of new features in this release are:
- Faster mapping
- Support for map rotation
- Support for webmap popups
- New layer support: Bing maps, Image server, Local tiled layer
- Support for secured ArcGIS services
For a full list see the whats new page.
Any questions should be placed on the new SDK specific forum, this is currently a 10.1 beta forum but will be publicly available on Dec 14th 2011. The existing public ArcGIS for Android forum will continue to be used as a forum for users of the ArcGIS for Android Application.
Happy app building! Did Santa come a little early this year?