Last update: July 10, 2014
In a prior blog post, I mentioned that for the forthcoming Esri Press research monograph Ocean Solutions, Earth Solutions, we will be encouraging each of the 15+ chapter authors to prepare a story map as another way to communicate their work. The story map is a new Esri medium for sharing not only data, photos, videos, sounds, and maps, but for telling a specific and compelling story by way of that content. This is all done with sophisticated cartographic functionality that does not require advanced training in cartography or GIS. Therefore the beauty of Esri story maps is that, depending on the chosen complexity, they can be built in anywhere from a few minutes to a few days, using the free public accounts and data available within ArcGIS Online. Story maps are essentially web map applications built from web maps which in turn are built from web-accessible data (including OGC WMS, WFS). With the beauty and utility of underlays such as the Esri Ocean Basemap, as well as a small tsunami of ocean content percolating up through free public accounts on ArcGIS Online, as well as on premium subscription accounts, it’s no wonder that we are seeing an “ocean” of interesting story maps.
Here is a small catalog for your enjoyment:
Made by Esri, Inc.
- 50 Largest Ports of the World
- Arctic Polar Projection Prototype (How does sea ice extent impact vessel movement in the Arctic?)
- Charles Darwin’s Voyage of the Beagle
- Country Income Level and Exclusive Economic Zones (in support of the Global Partnership for Oceans)
- Furthering the Ocean GIS Initiative (Chief Scientist)
- GIS for the Oceans Case Studies (and related article)
- GIS Success Stories Around the World (including some for coast and ocean) New!
- Hope Spots of the Sylvia Earle Mission Blue Alliance (web map only)
- Hurricanes: Top 10 Most Damaging in the US
- Little Cayman Island Diving Tour
- Ocean Acidification: Aragonite Saturation (swipe map) (climate change)
- Ocean Acidification: The Silent Storm (climate change)
- Ocean Sustainability Pilot Project (in support of the Global Partnership for Oceans)
- Our Oceans LIVE! (webcams around the world)
- Pacific Ocean Science and Exploration
- Reefs at Risk
- Sediment Conditions in the Southern California Bight (web map only)
- The Real Pirates of the Caribbean
- Titanic: Fate of its Passengers
- Trinidad Coastal Erosion
- Voyage of the Vermilion Sea New!
Made by Esri Distributors
- Antarctic Expedition
- Shipwrecks and Remote Sensing
- Storms in the Netherlands
- War in the Mediterranean Sea, 1940-1943 (in Italian)
Made by Esri Users
- Aquarium of the Pacific Story Map Gallery
- Atlantic Shipwreck Density by OCS Block New!
- Atlas of Stellar Sea Lion Haul-Out Sites in Oregon New!
- Audubon Society’s Pacific Flyway Marine Important Bird Areas (IBAs)
- Audubon Society’s Piping Plover
- Clark Magnet School Kids and their ROVs (and see the great YouTube video New!)
- Clark Magnet School Kids Study Marine Debris in Long Beach, San Francisco and Marina Del Rey Harbor, and Boston Harbor and Philadelphia
- Delaware Watersheds Highlights
- Es² Deepwater Horizon Response (oil spill) New!
- Evaluating Shipwreck Density by Lease Block New!
- exactEarth Gallery (includes web maps for the Arctic, historical ship positions, historical ship tracks, shipping density maps)
- exactEarth Gallery on ArcGIS Online (includes web maps and downloads)
- exactEarth Horizon (web maps of global ship positions from satellite AIS data)
- exactEarth ShipMapsTM (variation on the story maps concept w/ environment protection, piracy monitoring, Arctic monitoring, port management, casualty alerting, and fishery monitoring themes)
- Exploring Ocean Wind Energy (includes DATA DOWNLOAD!!) New!
- Extreme Fish of the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia Institute of Marine Science
- Finding Safe Anchor: Employing Vessel Traffic Data in Jacksonville, Florida New!
- The Great Bear Sea: Meet the Residents New!
- Great Lakes Coastal Land Use Scenarios
- The History Behind Flooding in Charleston, South Carolina New!
- Hurricane Sandy One-Year Anniversary New!
- Lionfish Invasions in the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic New!
- Lower Sheboygan River Habitat Restoration
- Mapping America’s Coral Reefs (NOAA site temporarily down)
- NOAA NCCOS Biogeography Branch Projects
- Ocean Acidification Around the World (climate change)
- Ocean Jobs by the Number
- Ocean Sectors: Tourism and Recreation, Offshore Minerals
- Pew Oceans Arctic Campaign
- “Popular Advice” on European Ocean Fish Stocks New!
- Protecting Wetland Benefits Story Map (related article)
- Sea Level Rise and Coastal Flooding Impacts Viewer (web map only) (more resources) New!
- Sea Level Rise Scenarios for Dorchester County, Maryland
- Sea Level Rise Scenarios for the State of Delaware
- Shipwrecked: Disasters at Sea (web map) New!
- A Tour of Ocean and Great Lakes Economies
- The Unknown World of the Ocean Floor (Swedish Maritime Administration)
Please come back and visit as I will try to add to this page throughout the year!
Thanks to Rupert Essinger for sharing several of the links.