New Spatial Analyst Supplemental tools, v1.3

With this update to the Spatial Analyst Supplemental Toolbox, we have added a new Tabulate Area 2 tool, a new Zonal Statistics as Table 2 tool, and added a new parameter to the Maximum Upstream Elevation tool. Read on for more details on the improvements these tools offer.

New tools

• Tabulate Area 2
    The new Tabulate Area 2 tool, as does the original Tabulate Area geoprocessing tool, calculates cross-tabulated areas between two datasets.  This new version offers an improvement over the original by handling overlapping polygons in feature zone input.
  • Zonal Statistics as Table 2
    The Zonal Statistics as Table 2 tool calculates statistics using the values of a raster within zones and reports the results to a table.  This new version offers an improvement over the original Zonal Statistics as Table  geoprocessing tool by fully handling overlapping polygons in feature zone input.
    (Note: The Zonal Statistics as Table For Overlapping Polygons tool that was made available in v1.2 of the Spatial Analyst Supplemental Tools has been deprecated with this update.)

Updated tools

• Maximum Upstream Elevation
    The Maximum Upstream Elevation tool has a new parameter that lets you decide on the method by which the longest upstream path is to be determined.  By default, the maximum elevation from all the cells that define the upstream watershed will be returned.  Optionally, you can elect to have the result be the maximum upstream elevation just for the cells that define the longest upstream path.

Downloading and installing

The Spatial Analyst Supplemental Toolbox version v1.3 is available for download here:

Click the Open button, then select Download. Save the zip file to your machine, then extract the contents. In ArcMap, open the Catalog view and navigate to the location you extracted the files to. You should see a a folder called SpatialAnalystSupplementalTools there, which will contain a Python toolbox with the Script tools.

Note that the samples are geared for ArcGIS version 10.1 SP1 and beyond.

Other tools

For more information on the other Supplemental tools that are available, have a look at this blog post:

Introducing the Spatial Analyst Supplemental tools

This entry was posted in Analysis & Geoprocessing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1. todd93 says:

Will these be released for version 10.2?

• mringel says:

I would also like to know if these tools will be available for 10.2.

• Juan Laguna says:

Hello, todd93 and mringel.

These tools will indeed work with ArcGIS 10.2. While the Note in the “Downloading and Installing” section above does state that the samples will work from ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 and higher, in the actual download page I had the Access and Use Constraints section updated to be more specific about this. It now says the following:

Requirements:
        ArcGIS 10.1 Service Pack 1 or later and Spatial Analyst Extension

I hope this clears things up for you.

Cheers,
        Juan

2. bastre says:

Hi,
    First, thanks for this very usefull toolbox. I’m using Zonal Statistics 2 for attributing raster values to overlapping features. It works greatly, however I do encounter a problem: not all of my features are attributed values. About 10% are left out. These seem to be mostly the smallest shapefile features in my data set. When identifying those left out and re-running the Zonal Statistics 2 tool only on those, 50% were attributed then a value and the rest were again left out.
    Any ideas about what is going on there?

• bastre says:

Forget that, is was a problem of raster size…

• Juan Laguna says:

Hello, Bastre.
        I’m glad you were able to resolve the issue. We were just about to prepare a response for you when your reply came in.

The Usage notes for Zonal Statistics as Table does try to cover most of the issues typically encountered when running the tool, so hopefully it was helpful to you.

Cheers,
        Juan

3. jackieguzy says:

I am having problems with Zonal Statistics 2 and Tabulate Area 2. I have version 10.2. When I ran Zonal Statistics 2 on 80 overlapping polygons it worked beautifully the first time. The second time I used it, on the same dataset, it stopped reporting values for overlapping polygons. I can not get it to work…

Regarding Tabulate Area–I have a 9 overlapping polygons and I need the area of landuse (a raster dataset) within each polygon. It is not calculating the area properly, and leaves off one polygon all together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jackie

4. nmietkiewicz says:

Hello,

I was wondering what is the proper command to call the Zonal Statistics 2 function in a python script for batch processing.

Nate

• koneil says:

I had the same question and just figured out a solution that works for me.

# Import the downloaded toolbox
      arcpy.ImportToolbox(“C:/SpatialAnalystSupplementalTools/Spatial Analyst Supplemental Tools.pyt”)

# Run the “ZonalStatisticsAsTable02_sas” command
      arcpy.ZonalStatisticsAsTable02_sas(in_zone_data, zone_field, in_value_raster, out_table, statistics_type, ignore_nodata)

Kyle

5. todd93 says:

I am having the same problem that bastre posted on July 10, 2014, however, my instance cannot be explained by cell size. All of my polygons contain at least 19 raster cells to generate statistics from.

Any suggestions on why this occurs?

• todd93 says:

Note: all of the polygons that do not process using Zonal Statistics 2 are those that are overlapped by a single larger polygon. This may have something to do with why results are not generated for these polygons.

• todd93 says:

Indeed, the overlapping polygon was preventing the underlying polygons from being processed. I verified this by deleting the larger polygon so there is no overlap and all remaining polygons process successfully. I am using the supplemental toolbox in ArcGIS 10.2.2.3552.

Is there a fix for this?

• todd93 says:

The help on this tool indicates that the Zone field “can be an integer or a string field of the zone dataset”, however, this does not appear to be the case in my situation.

It appears as though the ability of the tool to generate results for overlapping polygons is sensitive to the data type of the Zone field. Integer for Zone field is ok, but string is not.

6. ronrock says:

Under ‘Downloading and installing’ it is written that a python toolbox with the script tools is can be seen in Arcmpa when the folder is extracted. However, this toolbox is empty and appears with a red cross on top? How can I get it working?

7. koneil says:

My issue is in regards to the Zonal Statistics as Table 2 tool. I am running this tool for overlapping polygons representing riparian buffer zones, of which I have 2 versions (50ft and 200ft). When I compare the output “AREA” fields of two different versions, the values are incorrect for some of the smaller polygons. The output area of the smaller feature (50ft buffer) is greater than that of the area for the larger feature (200ft buffer). As I said, the polygons are small, but they are still larger than the cell size of the value raster, so I do not think it is a resolution issue. When I export the individual polygons and run them through the normal Zonal Statistics tool, I get more sensible results.

Zonal Statistics As Table:
    50ft buffer polygon: COUNT = 6 AREA = 5400 (polygon area = 3990)
    200ft buffer polygon: COUNT = 27 AREA = 24300 (polygon area = 24634)

Zonal Statistics As Table 2:
    50ft buffer polygon: COUNT = 5 AREA = 4500
    200ft buffer polygon: COUNT = 1 AREA = 900

I know there will be a difference between the polygon and raster areas, but I expect this to be somewhat consistent. I am hoping to know what process in the tool is causing it to differ from the original and more importantly, can the values for all of the other polygons in the layer be trusted? For now I have had to stop using the output and begun exploring other options though I would much prefer to continue using this tool.

Thanks,