In ArcPad 10.2, direct support for synchronization with feature services was introduced as a replacement for synchronizing with the ArcPad Extension for ArcGIS Server. This new feature is easy to use and especially easy to incorporate into your existing ArcPad projects – so let’s walk through the steps!
Step 1 – Preparing your Field Project
In ArcGIS Desktop:
- Organize your background and operational data, configure your geodatabase features such as subtypes, domains and related tables, and set the display scale and symbology for your project. Save your map (MXD) in preparation for Step 2. Read more about Preparing your data for ArcPad.
- Use the ArcPad Data Manager to Get Data for ArcPad, set up your photo workflows and validate your feature classes. Read more about Get Data for ArcPad.
OPTIONAL STEP: CUSTOMIZE YOUR PROJECT
In ArcPad/ArcPad Studio:
- Customize your data entry forms, customize your tools and toolbars and include any scripts for data validation. Read more about Customizing ArcPad.
Step 2. Preparing your Feature Service.
In ArcGIS Desktop:
- Connect to ArcGIS Server or ArcGIS Online and share your map (MXD) as a feature service. Read more about Publishing Services with ArcGIS.
- Browse to your feature service in Catalog. Right-click and select Create Layer. The feature service layer (LYR) contains the feature service URL.
- In the ArcPad Toolbox Tools, use the feature service layer (LYR) and the AXF from your checkout as inputs for the ‘Add Feature Service URL to AXF’ tool.
This AXF now contains the URL of this feature service. This URL means that the AXF (and any copies of the AXF) will be able to sync edits back to the feature service, as well as download any edits from the server. Your project is now ready to be deployed into the field.
Step 3. Collecting Data and Synchronizing Edits.
- Copy your project onto your mobile device, open in ArcPad and begin making edits to your data. Read more about Editing data in ArcPad.
- When you have a data connection and are ready to sync your edits, simply select the Synchronize Data with ArcGIS Server Tool.
- The ArcPad Synchronizer will report all edits uploaded to and downloaded from the feature service, including a progress bar and any error reporting as necessary.
The ArcPad Team