The release of ArcGIS 10.1 provides many new enhancements that will make delivering engaging and powerful web applications easier than ever. The Flex Team is very excited to deliver these new capabilities to our Flex users with version 3.0. We think you’ll be very inspired to get started integrating this new functionality. Here are few of the key new features covered in this blog:
- Share your widgets with the Flex community
- Bring your services and data to life with new dynamic capabilities
- Deliver content through new ArcGIS Online and Portal Integration
- System Requirements for Version 3.0
- Mobile Application Developers
- What’s new in ArcGIS API 3.0 for Flex
- What’s new in ArcGIS Viewer 3.0 for Flex
Share your widgets with the Flex community
Developers can now reach a wider audience with the time and resources invested in developing custom widgets for the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex. It is easier than ever now to bundle your custom functionality and make it simple for non-developers to integrate your widgets into the Application Builder.
Bring your services and data to life with new dynamic capabilities
New at ArcGIS 10.1 is the ability to alter a map service during the request and change the symbology. In addition, you have the power to generate labels for features on-demand. We think you’ll find many ways to integrate these visualization options with your services and data engaging users with your new and existing applications.
Deliver content through new ArcGIS Online and Portal Integration
Search, discover, and integrate content from ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS for Organizations, or your private ArcGIS cloud using the Portal API. New at version 3.0 developers can sign into a “Portal” and perform sophisticated queries to locate shared content. We’ve also integrated the Portal API into the Application Builder so you can sign into ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS for Organizations, or your private ArcGIS cloud and see “Featured Maps”, “My Content”, or “Search” for shared items.
System Requirements for Version 3.0
- Adobe Flex SDK 4.6 or higher
- Adobe Flash Player 11.1 or higher
What’s new in ArcGIS API 3.0 for Flex
Since version 2.5, 62 new classes, 33 new events, 140 new properties, and 128 new methods have been added to support new API functionality and support for ArcGIS 10.1 functionality, ArcGIS Online, and Portal for ArcGIS.
- Geodesic Buffering
- Dynamic rendering
- Dynamic labeling
- Generate renderers
- Change layer ordering
- Editor Tracking / IdentityManager
- High-quality printing
- Search Portal for Web Maps
Please browse the new Services Directory on sampleserver6 hosting the ArcGIS 10.1 services used in the samples.
Localization: Read about localization support in the API.
Note: Mobile Application Developers
If you are interested in developing mobile applications with the ArcGIS API for Flex, please make sure you are using the latest version of Adobe Flash Builder (version 4.6). If you are using versions 4.5 or 4.5.1 of Adobe Flash Builder, we strongly recommend you to upgrade since there have been enhancements to the mobile workflows for building applications for iOS and the Android platform.
What’s new in ArcGIS Viewer 3.0 for Flex
Many users will only use the Application Builder to quickly configure and deploy applications, read the System Requirements and Getting Started topics for more information to start building applications right away. Now that the Application Builder supports custom widgets, the Flex User Community will be able to make it easier than ever to distribute the great work that has been shared. Developers: follow the link to read more about packaging your custom widgets. Developers also still have full access to the Viewer source code on Github. If you’re old-school and love manually modifying the configuration files, you can still download the compiled Viewer package.
- Basemap switcher now supports base maps from ArcGIS online in addition to your own (This is a feature of the Viewer core and not the basemap switcher)
- Importing, upgrading, managing, and using custom widgets
- Support for printing with ArcGIS Server
- Support for content from ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS
- Smarter default map extent helper
- Various UI enhancements
- Various widget enhancements
- Many topic updates and screenshots for Application Builder
- Updated tag diagrams for the Viewer configuration files
- Configuring renderers for GP widgets
- Managing custom widgets
- Packaging custom widgets for Application Builder
What’s new in ArcGIS REST API
- New printing service
- Advanced query support (order by, statistics)
- Dynamic layer support (server-side symbology, labeling, dynamic workspaces)
- Generate renderers
- Geodatabase versions
- Geocoding: Batch geocoding, new search extent for finding addresses
- Geodesic buffering
- Geoprocessing now supports a result map service
- Many more enhancements to Network Services (Network Analyst), Feature Services, and, Image Services.
For full functionality, the latest ArcGIS API for Flex requires the latest version of ArcGIS 10.1 for Server. For PrintTask, dynamic layers, and dynamic workspaces, the ArcGIS API 3.0 for Flex (or later) and ArcGIS 10.1 for Server (or later) are required. Read more about What’s new in the ArcGIS REST API.
We’re looking forward to seeing how you can enhance your existing applications and build new applications with all the new functionality you have at your fingertips with ArcGIS 10.1 and ArcGIS for Flex version 3.0. Hopefully, we’ll be seeing you at the User Conference this summer.