ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 3.0 is now available for download from the Customer Care site.
Here are a just a few highlights of 3.0…
Creating and Managing Field Projects
- Simplified Project Management – with the 3.0 release you can include mobile caches, basemaps and project extensions inside the mobile projects you create. So all you need to do is pull or push the project to your device and it will unpack and manage the offline data content as well as any and all extensions.
- Project and Service Validation – the Mobile Project Center includes a validation framework that will ensure the integrity of your field projects by detecting, notifying and recommending changes before you publish out to your field workers.
- Qualify Map Layers for Synchronization – 3.0 simplifies the way you synchronize changes between the client and server. You can fully qualify the behavior of map layers inside of the project so your field workers need not worry about the details of synchronizing edits/changes.
Using the ArcGIS Application (Windows Mobile)
- GPS – the integration and use of GPS has improved considerably. First time install walks you through a process of configuring GPS for use with your device, now you can view GPS position info on top of the map using the GPS info bar, navigate to a feature using a GPS compass, auto-populate GPS information when creating new features, and create new features using a simplified collection process (single shot GPS collection).
- Attachments – now you can attach media to your features. Using Geodatabase Attachments you can capture many photos per feature and you can attach other media types to features that are both editable and read-only (pdfs, docs, videos, etc). Attachments are fully supported for offline use on your device and special consideration is taken during the synchronization process as well.
- Feature Editing – now you can update the location of existing features and in a field-savvy way! Explore new workflows for data capture/editing with the ability to extend a line or replace the portion of a feature using GPS.
- Auto-populate and user identity – with 3.0 you can greatly simplify the collection of attributes by automatically populating values such as GPS information, the user identity and date/time of capture, and more.
ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 3.0 is a really big release and there is a lot to discuss. Look for more articles on focused enhancements, workflow improvements and more coming soon. For a list of what is new, check out the documentation available on the Resource Center.