The release of 10.1 is closing in with many of you already in possession of the prerelease version of the software. For those of you using the Telecom Data Model and Fiber Editing Tools you are probably wondering if these will be updated? Well the answer is yes, and for those of you anxious to test things out we are releasing an early beta of the tools running on 10.1 Prerelease.
The 10.1 release of the tools adds some significant changes and improvements:
- Fiber cable configurations are now user editable via an XML file. This allows you to specify any size and configuration of cable. The old drop downs for Buffer Tube and Strand counts are gone. A new GUI is available to allow easy selection of cable configuration.
- Trace reports are now also configurable again via an XML file where the user can specify the fields for each type of object to report on. The report now also gives a tree view of the trace and allows feature locations to be flashed on the map from the report.
- The extension initialization process now only enables the tools only when a valid telecom Mxd workspace is opened. So less intrusive into your other work. This process also checks the tools config file to see if the configuration values are valid for the given workspace. Information and any problems found are sent to a new log window that can be viewed to help diagnose setup problems. While these checks aren’t exhaustive it should catch a lot of the potentials issues.
- The installer Setup.exe is now gone replaced with AddIn architecture versions of the tools and toolbar. As a result all windows are now also dock-able.
- The device and cable feature construction tools are gone with all creation done using out the box construction tools. This will ease the setting up of any new Mxd’s.
- The feature creation process has been optimized and profiled allowing for the creation and population of a 864 strand cable and all its relationships in just a few seconds.
- Data model changes are few with the # Buffer Tubes and # Strands domains being removed. For this reason these tools will NOT work on your old databases without some small changes that we will provide a GP model and some python code to execute.
We wont be releasing the code at this time but will for the final release of 10.1. The beta version of the tools can be downloaded here. The zip contains an Mxd configured against the latest data model. The zip also contains an AddIn folder. This contains the telecom tools and can be installed like any other AddIn (simply double click the .esri.AddIn file – this file is not digitally signed at this time).
NOTE: Please do not run these tools against your existing databases. While it might appear to run ok your database will be corrupted if you do so. Update instructions will be provided with the initial full release of the tools.
If you have comments, feedback or suggestions please feel free to comment below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.