Version 3.0 beta 2 of the ArcGIS API for Silverlight and the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Windows Phone is now available for download from the Beta Community Web site. You’ll need to login with an Esri Global account and walkthrough an initial survey to gain access. Once in the Beta Community you can register for any of the products listed.
Here are a few highlights of what’s new in the 3.0 beta 2 APIs:
- New resource centers for the Silverlight and Windows Phone APIs are available to the public.
- Silverlight 5 is now required to develop Silverlight Web applications. Silverlight 4 is no longer supported. (Silverlight only)
- Silverlight project templates have been removed from the install. They will be available online with 3.0 final. (Silverlight only)
- Support for new ArcGIS Server 10.1 beta 2 services and capabilities:
- Change layer rendering, layer order, or add layers on the fly in map services
- Generate data classifications on the server for layers in map services
- Use enhanced query options to order results and generate statistics
- Track user identity of edits and use ownership to limit edits to a layer in a feature service
- Support for geometry with Z and M values
- Generate printable output using the new PrintTask
- Query and edit support versioned layers in a geodatabase
- Restrict feature editing using more granular service capabilities (add, update, delete)
- Use inputs from a query url, geometry with M and Z values, compressed geometry, and time with network services
- Use batch geocoding and search extents with geocode services
- Define calculation types on area and length measurements, do geodesic buffering, and reproject geometry with datum transformation using a geometry service
- Use item uploads or GPMultiValue for inputs, discover record set fields, and use the cancel operation when working with geoprocessing services
- Use IdentityManager to access token secured services and webmaps from ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online
The ArcGIS API 3.0 beta 2 for Silverlight requires Silverlight 5 Tools for Visual Studio 2010 SP1 to develop applications. Expression Blend SDK for Silverlight 4 is still required to use the behaviors and actions included with the API (ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Behaviors.dll). Microsoft Expression Blend Preview for Silverlight 5 is not supported at this time.
The ArcGIS Runtime SDK 3.0 Beta 2 for Windows Phone requires the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 to develop applications that target Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) devices.
The ArcGIS Silverlight and Windows Phone Development Teams