Working with Reports in ArcMap, Part I-Getting Started

ArcGIS 10 introduces a new set of reporting tools for the desktop. You will now be able to create, load, and run reports using the new Report Wizard, Report Viewer, and Report Designer. Using these tools, it is easy to create and design reports in ArcMap.

Accessing the Report Commands

From the View menu in ArcMap, use the Reports pull-right menu to access the report commands. The

Create Report command launches the Report Wizard, which will walk you through creating a report. The Load Report command allows you to open a saved report in ArcMap or load a report layout file (.rlf) as a template in the Report Designer. The Run Report command allows you to regenerate a report based on an .rlf template.

Using the Wizard to Create a Report
The Report Wizard includes options for setting up the design of your report. The only requirement for creating a report is to choose a set of fields to display in the report. However, the wizard allows you to configure many properties that are common with a well-designed report. These properties include grouping, summary statistics, field sorting, and orientation of the report. One of the new features in the wizard in ArcGIS 10 is the ability to choose from a list of preset styles for your report. If you want to create your own style, you can do that as well using the Style Manager in the Report Designer.

Using the Viewer to Preview a Report
The Report Viewer lets you preview your report. The preview allows you to see how report elements are spaced, aligned, and formatted. If you want to alter any of the report properties, you can click Edit on the viewer’s toolbar, which will open the Report Designer. The toolbar also includes commands that allow you to save, export, and add the report to the layout. Export formats include PDF, HTM, TIFF, XLS, TXT, and RTF.

Using the Designer to Customize a Report
The Report Designer allows you to customize your report. Click elements in the report if you want to change their properties. The properties for any selected element are displayed in a properties grid to the right of the report view. To reposition elements on the report, simply click and drag them to the desired position. You can also resize an element by clicking it and using the handles (the little white squares) to adjust its height or width. Click Save on the main Report Designer toolbar to save a report layout file, which can be used as a template or to rerun a report.

Content Provided by Kent Marten

1. bmwgsbill says:

What happened to Crystal Reports? If it is no longer used, what do I do with the Crystal reports I created in the past?

2. esrikmarten says:

As long as you have Crystal Reports installed, you will be able to use your previously created reports. Although ArcMap no longer includes the Crystal Report Wizard, you can still create reports using Crystal and the ESRI Geodatabase provider.

3. grggrl says:

The report wizard does not open after selecting ‘Create Report’ from either the View menu or Table Options in the table. Suggestions?

4. esrikmarten says:

grggl, Are you using a Non-English OS or language setting?

5. jfaliti says:

I have the same issue of the wizard not opening… All in english…

6. esrikmarten says:

Please contact ESRI technical support if the Create Report command does not invoke the Report Wizard for you.

7. dacheng says:

it doesn’t work for me either!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Savari says:

How do you format a numerical field in your report? 9.3 had a “builder” button that would let you change the number of decimal places, add thousands separators, etc. The ESRI ArcGIS 10 Tutorial 1 Book says there is a “builder” too for the Output Format column in the Element Properties window, but there is not.

9. tshields says:

Savari – The builder has disappeared from A10′s Output Format field. You can type in a number format if you wish, i.e. ’0,000′ and this will format the field for integers with commas

10. Peggybill says:

esrikmarten–how can I “still create reports using Crystal and the ESRI Geodatabase provider”? I have Crystal Reports installed. I have Crystal Reports templates. I don’t know how to export the data I want to one of my templates, the .rpt extension is not supported.

I am trying to report on a ‘select by location’ that involves many different layers. I can’t see how that is possible in Arc 10.

11. jmk201 says:

I have a few crystal reports in ArcMap 9.3.1 and now I am ready to migrate to ArcGIS10. Apparently I can not programmatically open the report created by Arcmap report wizard. Any thoughts?

12. jlandwehr says:

How do you export this report to .xls, .pdf, .doc or any other useable format?

13. sumant18 says:

I have created a report and saved it as a .rdf file but now I want to go back into designer and edit it. How do I do that? I can’t seem to find the “edit” button that the help file talks about.

14. esrikmarten says:

Sumant18,

RDF – Report Document File – and this file is non-editable. You can only save RDF files from the Report Viewer.

RLF – Report Layout File – this stores the layout and source of your report. You can reload an .rlf file and edit the layout or re-run an .rlf report to generate an updated report. You can only save RLF files from the Report Designer.

You can export the report to other formats like XLS and PDF from the Export Report command on the Report Viewer toolbar.

15. enabelld says:

I have several RLF files and would like to create a batch file so I don’t have to process one at a time. Does anyone know how I can do this?