ArcGIS Server Service Pack 1

ArcGIS Server Service Pack 1 is out and available for download.  It has many fixes along with some very key enhancements.  One of the biggest enhancements is the ability to create map caches in different image type formats.  At 9.2 final you only had the option of creating PNG24 images for you map cache.  While PNG24 images are visually appealing and work well with images with a lot of vector data they are inefficient for continuous raster images like aerial photography or satellite imagery.  For example here are two tiles of orthophotography in both png (on the left) and jpeg (on the right):

PNG    JPG

The JPEG tile is 16.39kb.  The PNG tile is 85.93kb.  That makes the JPEG in this case 1/5 the size of the PNG.  While that does not really make that much difference while you are on an internal network, it makes a big difference for web applications.  It is important to note that JPEGs do not support transparency so PNG images would be ideal for map caches that need to be transparent (a roads cache on top of an ortho cache for example).

Try out a demo here:  http://serverx.esri.com/dgaerialsws

This example uses 2 meter FSA NAIP color imagery and six inch black and white orthophotos courtesy of the City of Lawrence, Kansas

Jeremy

This entry was posted in Services and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1. Jeff_g says:

Do you guys have many fixes in SP1 just after ArcGIS Sever did the shippment a couple of weeks ago ??? !

2. gautesolaas says:

I’ve found a ‘Cache Tile Format’ option dropdown under Generate Map Server Cache, but it insists there is an ‘Existing cache with a different cache format’ if I select anything but PNG24.
    I’ve tried to run the ‘Delete Map Server Cache’ and have tried to start from zero without getting rid of this error.

Elaboration on the correct procedure will be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Gaute

3. Jeremy says:

Hi Gaute,

Let me make sure I understand. Are you starting fresh with a new service and cache or are you trying to convert an existing cache of PNG to JPEG (not supported)? Make sure that your cache directory does not contain a reference to your map service. The cache directory for a particular service is the same name as the service. If I have a service called DG_AERIALS and I build a cache, the cache directory will contain a root directory called DG_AERIALS. Also if you are generating a cache using a preconfigured cache configuration file, ensure that you are using the cache configuration file that was generated using the Generate MapServer Cache Configuration tool.

Regards,
    Jeremy

4. gautesolaas says:

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks! I removed the directory tree and ran the ‘Generate Map Server Cache Tiling Scheeme’ -tool. I then stopped the process when it had started generating the uppermost tiles.
    Now I had my hands on a conf.xml with the new formatting and could easily swap the contents with the one we’ve been using sofar:
    A small change in the beginning followed by the addition of a few lines at the end:

<SpatialReference ……….
    ……JPEG75

Cheers,
    Gaute

5. gautesolaas says:

Hi Jeremy,

I’ve added AIS services to my MXD to see how it performs as a source to AGS-caching.

We have issues with blurry pyramid-layers in ArcSDE that AIS lets ut bypass, however when I’m to set up the ‘Update Map Server Cache’ the AIS layer is missing from the list of available layers …

To me it looks like AGS just isn’t enabled to recognize AIS layers.

Do you have a work-around for this?

Cheers,
    Gaute

6. gautesolaas says:

Hi Jeremy,

The problem arose due to use of mapped paths instead of UNC-paths.
    I also changed from using the default IP-adresses to using the server names.

Problem solved. I now successfully add AIS layers to a MXD and then generate a cache.

Yours,
    Gaute

7. gautesolaas says:

Hi again,

I have fought with another problem related to my earlier comments. When the cache is well established (JPEG-files) I can’t get nor Internet Explorer nor ArcCatalog / ArcMAP to access it.
    Instead they all revert to the MXD and generates the screen-images on demand.

Is there any tricks to get the clients to access JPEG-caches?

Cheers,
    Gaute

8. Jeremy says:

Hi Gaute,

Does your map cache conf.xml file contain information about your TileIMageInfo? With 9.2 SP1 we have wrapped the TileCacheInfo response within CacheInfo. Cacheinfo contains information about the cache for the map service (TileCacheInfo) and information about the TileImageInfo (cache image format and resolution). See an example cache configuration file for the dgaerials map service here: http://serverx.esri.com/arcgiscache/dgaerials/Layers/conf.xml

The 9.2 Final conf.xml file will not have this new information and older clients will fall back to drawing maps dynamically from the SOC. In order to have JPEGs usable from a 92sp1 map cache you need to be accessing it from a 9.2 SP1 client.

How many map services do you have in your Web Application when Internet Explorer generates images on demand for you?

Thanks,